The Richard Bazinet addtional cooling hacks for our Arizona heat.
1. Hack a custom fan. With a bowl of ice and a fan, you can create a faux ocean breeze. Simply fill a mixing bowl with ice or an ice pack, and put the bowl in front of a fan. Turn the fan on, and the air will mimic a chilly, misty breeze.
2. Set your ceiling fans to rotate counter-clockwise. A ceiling fan isn’t a set-it-and-forget-it appliance. In the summer, the fan blades should rotate counter-clockwise (as you look up at it) to push the air straight down. Increase the fan speed on really hot days.
3. Turn on bathroom fans. Your bathroom fans, as well as the exhaust fan in your kitchen, drag the hot air that rises and push it out of your home.
4. Use insulated window films. Window films offer a ton of benefits, from cutting energy costs to providing you privacy while still enjoying the view and light of the great outdoors. They can provide up to 98 percent infrared heat reduction compared to unprotected windows, and reduce temperature imbalances in your home.
5. Drink more water. Water will hydrate you and make you feel cooler.
6. Wrap a cold water towel around your neck. This will make you feel 20 degrees cooler and you get to keep a cool head! Wring and replace the cooler water regularly to keep cool.
This content is not the product of the National Association of REALTORS®, and may not reflect NAR's viewpoint or position on these topics and NAR does not verify the accuracy of the content.